Re: Distribution of BlackBox in the USA

From: Self <treutwein.59.Verwaltung.Uni-Muenchen>
Date: Mon, 5 Feb 2001 11:53:09 +0200

Hi Doug,

sometimes some things need more time than expected :-)

I wanted to reply since I read your post, but I've been
distracted ...

> From: "Douglas G. Danforth" <danforth{([at]})nowhere.xy

> Subject: Distribution of BlackBox in the USA

> Date: Wed, 03 Jan 2001 21:10:09 GMT
[...]
> (1) Solver: Would you be willing, at times of your choosing and on problems

> that you select, to act as a problem solver for detailed questions and be
> compensated for your time and effort?

yes.

> (2) Reviewer: Would you be willing to act as a reviewer of solutions
> presented by others?

yes, under the same preconditions as for (1) "at times of your choosing and
           on problems that you select"

> (3) Editor: Would you be willing to be an editor of reviews and solutions

> which provides a form of uniformity to the 'product' (solution) the poser
> receives?

yes, under the same preconditions as for (1) "at times of your choosing and
           on problems that you select"

> BLACKBOX
>
> (1) Computer Store: Would you buy BlackBox from a computer store if the 'box'

> contained OMI's software plus documentation plus GFT software that
> coordinates support for any questions you may have: from new user questions
> to rigorous business contracts?

hmm, maybe, but I fear I would not realize what it is, if I would not know
it anyways.

BTW: I think either OmiSys or somebody else should do a
promotion tour by sending out review copies (maybe with
a ready made promotional article) to computer journal.

BYTE had been the only magazine where BB resp. Oberon/F
was mentioned.

> (2) Campus Book Store: If you are a student, would you like access to such a

> package in your local book store?

hmm, since that time is over since some time, it is difficult
to answer.

> (3) Concerns: What are (would be) your concerns in buying such an off the

> shelf product? Are these concerns enough to stop you from doing so? What
> general concerns/words of encouragement/suggestions do you have concerning
> widespread distribution of Black Box and this whole proposed enterprise?

see above.

> MARKETING
>
> (1) C++: Is marketing Component Pascal as an alternative to C++ a strong

> selling point? If not why not?

I think so, but it may be very difficult, see Günter Dotzels pessimistic
remarks on that topic on zel.org (http://www.zel.org/oberon/fromctoo.htm).

I know him since the early days of Modula-2 and he got very frustrated
(about standardization and the future of good languages ...)

But, you might also contact him personally. If you need his email
address, let me know ... he is hating spam ...

> (2) RAD: Is marketing BlackBox as a rapid development tool a selling point?

> If not why not?

hmm, maybe, I don't know, I'm not in business

> (3) Components: Is marketing Component Pascal for the development of
> 'components' a major selling point?

hmm, maybe too ...

> (4) Support: Is guarenteed support an important selling point for you?

not for me personally, but in general, when I think about
my professional duties, I think it is very important.

> (5) Documentation: How important is documentation?
> (a) Introductions and overviews.
> (b) Case examples specific to your area of development.
> (c) Highly technical nitty gritty documentation.
> (d) On-line instruction
> (e) Hand held book(s).

yes, every kind of documentation is important. For BB, this implies
that Stan's Tutorial and the BB Tutorial are necessary.

I think that (b) Case examples specific to your area of development.
are less important, but my stuff is bit off topic, so that is my
personal jufgement.

> EDUCATION
>
> (1) If we offered on-line web-base courses in BlackBox/Component Pascal

> would you be interested.

hmm, my first spontanuous reply is: not any more,

but if I think twice: may be some tutorial about MVC and that stuff might be
interesting -- if time permits ...

> Do you know of others who might be interested?

currently not, but that can change

> THOUGHTS
>
> Who do you know uses Black Box/Pascal? How do they use it? One of our

> target groups, at least initially, may be to College and University computer
> science departments. Do you think this is a good initial target group? Do
> you know of any such groups already using the product (besides Stan Warford,
> University of Pepperdine)? Do you have contact with people who might
> be "ripe" for BlackBox/Component Pascal programming?

another target group might be the people who
are using Visual Basic for automation of MS-Office Apps.

But for that there would be a large tutorial necessary on
how to use BB/CP for that.

> Do you think this CAN be a profitable enterprize?

as far as I know the CP/Java consulting business of
the software architects at OmiSys is profitable ...

> Do you have any other thoughts that could support
> the distribution of BlackBox/Component Pascal?

see above

> We truly appreciate your ideas and thoughts.

regards