[Fwd: Distribution of BlackBox in the USA]

From: Bernhard T. <"Bernhard>
Date: Mon, 29 Jan 2001 13:42:06 +0100

--
if you want to reach me personally use: BdT{([at]})nowhere.xy

From: "Douglas G. Danforth" <danforth{([at]})nowhere.xy
Newsgroups: comp.lang.oberon
Subject: Distribution of BlackBox in the USA
Date: Wed, 03 Jan 2001 21:10:09 GMT

TO: Oberon/Component Pascal users
FROM: Greenwood Farm Technologies,Ltd.
SUBJECT: Distribution of BlackBox in the USA

Greenwood Farm Technologies, Ltd (GFT) is embarking on a
feasibility study for increasing the distribution
and support of Oberon MicroSystems' BlackBox/Component Pascal.

GFT was formed in December 1998 by Doug Danforth and Anne Stevens who is a
practicing lawyer in the states of Massachusetts and Ohio. Our intent is to
remain a small company with low overhead and yet have a large effect on
people who need problems solved. This can be acomplished through distributed
problem solving by networks of people for pay. The business
model is a mix of open source development (Linux) and E-Bay auctions.

Currently comp.lang.oberon offers free advice and discussion between users of
all Oberon software. This is adequate for casual interactions but there are
times when business and individuals need more depth. In those cases, difficult
question frequently remain unanswered since the time and effort by the
casual comp.lang.oberon reader is too great.

To satisfy the user/business who truly does need answers in a timely fashion
and who needs high quality answers, GFT proposes to offer compensation to
'solvers' (from the user community) based on money offered by 'posers' of
problems. The amount of money offered will be based on
'Whatever the market will bear'.

To guarentee high quality, GFT offers 'peer review' of solutions
(if the poser so desires).

Hence:

SUPPORT

(1) Solver: Would you be willing, at times of your choosing and on problems
that you select, to act as a problem solver for detailed questions and be
compensated for your time and effort?

(2) Reviewer: Would you be willing to act as a reviewer of solutions
presented by others?

(3) Editor: Would you be willing to be an editor of reviews and solutions
which provides a form of uniformity to the 'product' (solution) the poser
receives?

BLACKBOX

(1) Computer Store: Would you buy BlackBox from a computer store if the 'box'
contained OMI's software plus documentation plus GFT software that
coordinates support for any questions you may have: from new user questions
to rigorous business contracts?

(2) Campus Book Store: If you are a student, would you like access to such a
package in your local book store?

(3) Concerns: What are (would be) your concerns in buying such an off the
shelf product? Are these concerns enough to stop you from doing so? What
general concerns/words of encouragement/suggestions do you have concerning
widespread distribution of Black Box and this whole proposed enterprise?

MARKETING

(1) C++: Is marketing Component Pascal as an alternative to C++ a strong
selling point? If not why not?

(2) RAD: Is marketing BlackBox as a rapid development tool a selling point?
If not why not?

(3) Components: Is marketing Component Pascal for the development of
'components' a major selling point?

(4) Support: Is guarenteed support an important selling point for you?

(5) Documentation: How important is documentation?
      (a) Introductions and overviews.
      (b) Case examples specific to your area of development.
      (c) Highly technical nitty gritty documentation.
      (d) On-line instruction
      (e) Hand held book(s).

EDUCATION

(1) If we offered on-line web-base courses in BlackBox/Component Pascal
would you be interested. Do you know of others who might be interested?

THOUGHTS

Who do you know uses Black Box/Pascal? How do they use it? One of our
target groups, at least initially, may be to College and University computer
science departments. Do you think this is a good initial target group? Do
you know of any such groups already using the product (besides Stan Warford,
University of Pepperdine)? Do you have contact with people who might
be "ripe" for BlackBox/Component Pascal programming?

Do you think this CAN be a profitable enterprize?

Do you have any other thoughts that could support
the distribution of BlackBox/Component Pascal?

We truly appreciate your ideas and thoughts.

Email responses to:

danforth{([at]})nowhere.xy
        or
danforth{([at]})nowhere.xy

- Greenwood Farm Technologies, Ltd.
**Putting a little magic into programming**

"Douglas G. Danforth" <danforth{([at]})nowhere.xy
> TO: Oberon/Component Pascal users
> FROM: Greenwood Farm Technologies,Ltd.
> SUBJECT: Distribution of BlackBox in the USA
>
> Greenwood Farm Technologies, Ltd (GFT) is embarking on a
> feasibility study for increasing the distribution
> and support of Oberon MicroSystems' BlackBox/Component Pascal.

Great! But what about pricing? The current prices (especially COM compiler)
when compared to MS, Borland and other tools look like a bad joke...

A.L.