Re: Oberon/F 1.2.1 on Windows 95 vs. NT

From: Martin, Marc <"Martin,>
Date: Tue, 8 Dec 1998 14:49:52 -0800

Thanks to everyone who replied to my Windows 95/NT question. I just got a
Windows NT machine to test my Oberon/F applications on, and everything ran
just fine! So the problems that were reported to me must be due to
something else -- I have no idea what, but the current theory is that it
*might* have something to do with the fact that the problem machine is a
multi-processor system.

BTW, this testing reminded me of another "problem" that I've had with the
Oberon/F on Windows 95 all along and (now) NT. When I copy my applications
to a new machine and try to run them for the first time, they never run.
Instead, I have to attempt to run them (and fail), then restart my PC, and
then everything works fine from that point on. I've simply put this in my
documentation as "normal" initial behavior, but I'm wondering -- is it?

Marc Martin
Boeing Commercial Space Company
Seattle Washington USA
marc.martin{([at]})nowhere.xy

P.S. to Stan -- I have never really found a compelling reason to upgrade
from Oberon/F 1.2.1 to BlackBox/Component Pascal. I probably would if I saw
a good reason, but since I don't, and since the upgrade costs money and

requires paperwork, justification, etc., it just wasn't worth it to me.

One new feature I'd love to see is better multi-tasking/threading, but I
don't think 1.3.1 is improved in this respect, and I'm still convinced that
one day I'll figure out a way to trick the existing framework into doing
what I want it to do. Either that or somebody will release a Windows 95/NT
"Active Oberon" compiler... :-)