Large txt Files

From: Danforth, Douglas <"Danforth,>
Date: Mon, 29 Jan 2001 10:15:06 -0500

Folks,

I ran a test on the time it takes to open a large .txt
file using BlackBox as compared to using Wordpad.
Here are the results:

File length = 5.25MB

Program Opening time
Wordpad 0.481 seconds
BlackBox 41. seconds

So BlackBox takes 100 times longer than wordpad.

The BB documenation says .txt files are converted to
BB Documents which I assume accounts for the long
opening time.

The time for Wordpad was measured using Services.Ticks()
surounding HostDialog.Start(..). The BlackBox time
was determined using wall clock time after doing a
menu selection of Files->Open (select file) ->Text.

The slowness of examining large txt files causes me
to use Wordpad rather than BlackBox. Am I doing
something wrong? Is there another way to speed up
the open process under BlackBox or is this endemic
to the txt to odc converter?

-Doug

---
Douglas G. Danforth, Ph.D. - Research Scientist
QuikCAT.com   6700 Beta Drive,  Suite 200,  Mayfield Village,  OH 44143-2335
To unsubscribe from this mailing list, send a message containing the word "unsubscribe" to:
   blackbox-request{([at]})nowhere.xyTo get a list of valid e-mail commands and instructions on their usage, send a message containing the word "help" to the above address.
Send any problem reports or questions related to this email list to the list owner at
   owner-blackbox{([at]})nowhere.xyíxHgH