Re: Electronic Publishing & Bitmaps

From: [at]} <ftkachov{>
Date: Tue, 1 May 2001 22:04:34 +0400 (MSK DST)

Why don't you try postscript format? The archive allows it.

In fact, ps is more widely used than pdf, at least by high energy physicists
and mathematical physicists.

You will need to install a postscript printer in Windows
(Apple LaserWriter ..; I use the one with a "plus" in the name of the printer
model).
Connect it to FILE: instead of LPT1:

Then just print from BlackBox to the postscript printer.
Windows will ask for a name of the file.

I've been using this technique for 6 years, and it works.

One problem is that windows-generated postscript may be large
-- I usually print from word using only the 13 standard ps fonts and
left-align to reduce the size of ps files.

Another problem is, older windows ps drivers produce incompatible ps.
Use version 4 (win 95 and later).

To view postscript files, us ghostview+ghostscript combination.
A fairly recent versions can be found at

http://www.inr.ac.ru/~ftkachov/rsrc/gs601w32.exe
http://www.inr.ac.ru/~ftkachov/rsrc/gsv29w32.exe

Best,
Fyodor Tkachov