Re: BBUG

From: [at]} <Stewart>
Date: Thu, 28 Sep 2000 15:33:18 +0800

"Douglas G. Danforth" wrote:
> I would be most interested in hearing from BlackBox developers. I frequently feel I am
> reinventing the wheel in the code I write and would think that the essence of
> component development is in the sharing of extensible software.
>
> What do you all think?
> (I'm about to write some image processing software or convert from other Oberon code)

Sounds like a good idea. Getting software components to the state that
they are sharable probably involves a certain amount of extra work (eg.
documentation, developing more general designs, rationalising code,
etc). Hopefully, this would be paid back when you can simply plug in
some existing code and not have to re-write it from scratch.

I find working with the Java framework to be particularly liberating
because there is so much functionality available in the platform API. It
would be nice to see some standard packages for abstract data types (eg.
similar to java.util) and image handling (reading images from varioius
file formats and writing to views). These are the kind of things that I
would otherwise have to "reinvent".

Cheers,
  Stewart