Gfx

From: [at]} <Wojtek>
Date: Tue, 23 Mar 1999 11:57:02 -0800

Hi:

  Alan Freed brought to my attention a graphical library
by Erich Oswald named Gfx. The description looks interesting.
Did anybody consider porting it to BlackBox? Those who have
not heard of Gfx, please have a look at
http://www.cs.inf.ethz.ch/~oswald/GfxOverview.html

I am asking because:

(1) Gfx looks like a useful tool to me;

(2) Other than the vendor-supplied graphic primitives
   (which are very good), BlackBox lacks graphics libraries;

(3) In general BB is a component system with very few

    components available, other than those developed by
    the vendor. This means that BB is less useful than
    it could be, because of the overhead caused by reinventing
    the wheel by everybody who needs anything beyond standard
    BB components.

This last point leads me to ask a question whether BB community
should not consider sharing what different parties have developed.
Clemens Szyperski said in his book that a perfect system with
no users will whither, while an imperfect one that has users will
expand. That is sort of how BB situation looks to me.

On my part I can share graphics that I am developing myself, if
anybody is interested. I wonder though if I am the only one
busily reinventing the wheel, or are we unknowingly duplicating
our efforts all over the place?

Wojtek

Wojtek Skulski
X-Ray Instrumentation Associates
2513 Charleston Rd #207, Mountain View, CA 94043, USA
Tel: 650 903 9980 ext. 16 Fax: 650 903 9887
E-Mail: skulski{([at]})nowhere.xy