Re: [BLACKBOX] Symbol Οƒ

From: Douglas G. Danforth <"Douglas>
Date: Sun, 17 Jan 2010 23:24:24 -0800

Gunnar,
Thank you very much.
I did not even try Log for output since (I think)
I had tried that in the distant past but did not get
the correct characters then.

Thank you for the Unicode pdf file. That helps a bunch.

What's the difference between Log and StdLog?
I can see from the interface minor difference but why
two such modules?

I only use StdLog.

-Doug

Gunnar Bernhardt wrote:

Douglas,

since BB is using Unicode, Greek letters are available as well. If you consult the code page at
http://unicode.org/charts/PDF/U0370.pdf

you find that the code in 03C3.
83C3 does not seem to work for me (see attached screenshot).

I have no idea how to enter it directly with the keyboard though. :-(

greeting
gunnar

Douglas G. Danforth schrieb:

Folks,

The following Greek symbol "s"
I copied from a Wikipedia page.
It appears correctly in this HTML email as I paste it here.
I hope you can see it after I send this message.

Now I am amazed, flummoxed, startled, that this
symbol can be entered and appear correctly.
In a BlackBox document it also appears correctly.

BUT HOW DO I TYPE IT!!!??

If I select it in a BB document and do an attribute for the symbol it is listed as my standard font.
Not a new font! So in a standard font there exist Greek letters!?

If I open a file as a data file that was stored with s then I can find
the hex code for it which seems to be C3 83.

I have tried to use that code in a program to regenerate it but the symbol
produced is not s but rather a square box which is the catch all for unknown
character. I tried reversing the order to 83 C3 but that gave the same box.

Here is the code that I am using to generate the text.

MODULE Symbols;
(*
The symbol s is the
Symbol Code
s C383
*)
    IMPORT
        StdCmds,
        TextMappers,
        TextModels,
        TextViews;
           PROCEDURE Write*;
        VAR
            model: TextModels.Model; wr: TextModels.Writer;
    BEGIN
        TextViews.Deposit;
        StdCmds.Open;
        model := TextViews.FocusText();
        wr := model.NewWriter(NIL);
        wr.WriteChar(0C383X);
    END Write;
   END Symbols.

Any suggestions for how I can generate these Greek symbols?
(Yes I know I can use the font 'Symbol' to get Greek but I really
want to know what is going on with the 16 bit code. I am using
BB1.5)

-Doug

----
To unsubscribe, send a message with body "SIGNOFF BLACKBOX" to LISTSERV{([at]})nowhere.xy

  _____