Re: [BLACKBOX] Excel

From: [at]} <Gunnar>
Date: Mon, 1 Feb 2010 07:43:24 +0100

Doug,

what do you need to do with the MS-Excel file? If you want to access it like a data base (e.g. one row at a time, 1st line indicating Column names), you could try using ADO.
This method has it's quirks as well: For instance the Excel file is open exclusively by your application. If you try to access a file, which has already been opened by Excel, you get an error...

If you only need to output data, you could simply write a text file separating columns by a tab. Such files will look fine when you open them with Excel.

regards
gunnar

Aubrey McIntosh schrieb:

OpenOffice is an offering from Sun that is free, and is compatible

with Microsoft office files.

I have had quirks in using the ObxExcel. They seem related to file

sharing. I could sometimes read / write the excel files, sometimes

got errors.

On Sun, Jan 31, 2010 at 9:44 PM, Douglas G. Danforth

 <mailto:danforth{([at]})nowhere.xy

Folks,

I have another possible small task for a client that entails

using Excel.

I have an Excel reader on my machine and so can see their data.

But when attempting to run the ObxExcel example I get

ObxExcel.ShowExcel

cannot open excel object

So I guess I really don't have the code for Excel.

Must I spend gobs of money ($400+) to acquire Excel or is there

some other way that I can access their data via BlackBox?

-Doug

LISTSERV{([at]})nowhere.xy