Re: [BLACKBOX] Excel

From: Douglas G. Danforth <"Douglas>
Date: Sun, 31 Jan 2010 23:06:04 -0800

----boundary-LibPST-iamunique-1782928040_-_- Content-type: text/plain Gunnar, If that is the extent of the complexity of an Excel file than that is easy. I am a novice to Excel. So the fields of the file are simply ',' separated and the end of a row is just an eol? What is ADO? ActiveX Data Objects? Is that really necessary? -Doug Gunnar Bernhardt wrote: Doug, what do you need to do with the MS-Excel file? If you want to access it like a data base (e.g. one row at a time, 1st line indicating Column names), you could try using ADO. This method has it's quirks as well: For instance the Excel file is open exclusively by your application. If you try to access a file, which has already been opened by Excel, you get an error... If you only need to output data, you could simply write a text file separating columns by a tab. Such files will look fine when you open them with Excel. regards gunnar Aubrey McIntosh schrieb: OpenOffice is an offering from Sun that is free, and is compatible with Microsoft office files. I have had quirks in using the ObxExcel. They seem related to file sharing. I could sometimes read / write the excel files, sometimes got errors. On Sun, Jan 31, 2010 at 9:44 PM, Douglas G. Danforth Received on Mon Feb 01 2010 - 08:06:04 UTC