BlackBox tutorial update

From: [at]} <Stan>
Date: Sun, 29 Apr 2001 22:46:25 PDT

Hello All,
I am pleased to announce the latest revision of my
BlackBox tutorial titled "Programming in BlackBox"
avialiable in PDF format at

ftp://pepvax.pepperdine.edu/pub/compsci/prog-bbox/

in the directory named "chapters". New to this revision
is

* an expanded and more clear explanation of the recursive
merge sort algorithm in Chapter 19,

* a more accurate and detailed description of type guards
in Chapter 23,

* a greater emphasis on the concept of design by contract,

* additional exercises and problems and better
specification of old ones,

as well as the usual "many corrections throughout".

The book is designed for the novice programmer. If
you are new to object-oriented programming, I especially
recommend Chapters 21-24. I have developed the book
for my introductory course in computer science. I teach
C++ and Java as well, and in my opinion Component Pascal
together with the BlackBox framework is unsurpassed
as a tool to learn OO and GUI programming. Enjoy!

Stan
J. Stanley Warford
Professor of Computer Science
Pepperdine University