Re: [BLACKBOX] Illegal Memory Access with Windows 7 - Update 2

From: [at]} <Chris>
Date: Fri, 16 Aug 2013 22:04:37 +0930

As I understand it, it depends on which system you eventually run the application on. Executable code is not generated until you first run the application so it can be multi-targeted. In my case I am running on 64-bit Windows 7. I compiled your test program using GPCP - see the attached modified code. The results indicate that it is running as a 64-bit system:

Good allocations 18596
Failed allocations 83804
Maximum allocation 30,833,195,202

(I put the commas in to make it easier to read)

In a real application you would want to have a self-imposed ceiling on how much memory you tried to allocate as that apparently is allocating virtual memory.

I monitored the memory usage in Task Manager while the program was executing and found the usage of physical memory fluctuated from 78% - 98% and the maximum peaked at about 7,069,000 bytes (on an 8Gb system). After some time Windows complained that the system was low on memory and one of the resident processes terminated itself.

Regards,
Chris

Chris Burrows
CFB Software
http://www.cfbsoftware.com

----
To unsubscribe, send a message with body "SIGNOFF BLACKBOX" to LISTSERV{([at]})nowhere.xy