[BLACKBOX] Aw: Re: [BLACKBOX] SCM

From: Rene A. Krywult <"Rene>
Date: Mon, 9 Sep 2013 10:46:29 +0200

----boundary-LibPST-iamunique-1883488164_-_- Content-type: text/plain In the long run it would be nice to have the BB Center hosted on an o3-Server (the webserver written by Werner Braun in BB) and an SCM written in BB, compatible with industry standards. Not only would this be a proof of concept, but also would it provide tailormade solutions to what we need. I also agree on the cons, and especially your con 3 is so big, that I do not believe that we should go there now. Rene Gesendet: Montag, 09. September 2013 um 09:47 Uhr Von: "Douglas G. Danforth" In the long run it would be nice to have the BB Center hosted on an o3-Server (the webserver written by Werner Braun in BB) and an SCM written in BB, compatible with industry standards. Not only would this be a proof of concept, but also would it provide tailormade solutions to what we need.

Gesendet: Montag, 09. September 2013 um 09:47 Uhr
Von: "Douglas G. Danforth" <danforth{([at]})nowhere.xy An: BLACKBOX{([at]})nowhere.xy Betreff: Re: [BLACKBOX] SCM
Folks,

It has occurred to me to ask the question:

"Why are we going outside of BlackBox to develop and maintain BlackBox?"

One possible response to that question is: "We need not!"
That is to say, we can build a source code manager (SCM)
to maintain BlackBox.  I can hear all of you cringing and thinking
"Why reinvent the wheel?".  Well, I can think of several responses.

Pro:
(1) We have direct control over the SCM.
(2) The modular structure is elegant for an SCM
(3) As with Component Pascal the compiler is written (mostly)
    in Component Pascal.
(4) All the tools we need are already available in BlackBox
    e.g. Files, Stores, Sql, GftSearch, ... .

Con:
(1) A lot of work and time.
(2) Who is going to do this (I might dabble here).
(3) We need this sooner rather than later.
(4) Do we really have all the tools necessary (various types of file comparisons)?

Comments welcomed!

-Doug Danforth