Re: [BLACKBOX] Seasoned Linux.

From: [at]} <Rex>
Date: Thu, 13 Jan 2011 12:35:28 -0600

Wojtek Skulski wrote ..
> On the other hand, if there is ever a chance of having Oberon-07 versus
> not having anything at all, I would rather have Oberon-07.

Oberon-07 was optimized for a particular chip or type of chips, with limited capabilities for a specific purpose. Although it incorporates some good, new ideas, it also creates yet another, very different dialect that breaks most existing code. As I recall, the FOR loop is out yet again, as are some fairly essential data types. Breaking existing code strikes me as a VERY bad idea, which I think has greatly hindered the adoption of Wirth languages.

I object to the name too, because it implies that it's intended to replace previous versions. While I'm sure it's excellent for its intended purpose, I frankly would not like to see it adopted as a new standard for general use.

Rex Couture

----
To unsubscribe, send a message with body "SIGNOFF BLACKBOX" to LISTSERV{([at]})nowhere.xy