Re: [BLACKBOX] Opening an embedded form view

From: Douglas G. Danforth <"Douglas>
Date: Tue, 8 Dec 2009 17:56:28 -0800

Aubrey,
That is the kind of display I want BUT walking through
other peoples code is just as difficult as reading tons of
documentation. So I will pass on you kind offer
UNLESS you can explain in 50 words or less the mechanism
for getting a graph embedded in a form.

A SMALL ADVANCEMENT
If I don't attempt to drop the view into the form but rather paste
myControl that does nothing but is an extension of a control into the
form AND then via the properties dialog point its link to the graph
view in MyModule then I do (kind of) see the graph in the form.

By kind of I mean that when the view is opened (which also opens
a separate window from the from) I see the graph in the window and
part of the graph in the form. The graph is jammed over to the top left
of the form and I must resize the control view to cover that region before
I see the graph.

Secondly the graph is not updated when the function is recomputed but
the window view is. HOWEVER, if I cover the form with another window
(such as the log) and then uncover the graph is then correctly shown.

So it looks like update messages are not being sent to the form graph view but
they are being sent to the window graph view.

This says to me that I still have this completely wrong!

What must I do to get this to work?

-Doug

Aubrey.McIntosh{([at]})nowhere.xy

I did a project in about 2000 with whatever version of BlackBox was current then. There was a text view of pH data (volume vs pH), a standard pH vs volume graph, and another graph that was interpreted via a different equation.

I could drop text into the Text view, or I could move the cursors on either of the graph views, and have all the views update. There were one or two other interactive items in the view as well. The graphs had a colored background with some sort of fade or information encoding as well.

I am sure that I posted this to one of the repositories then, and there is some possibility that I have a copy on another machine. Does this seem like the sort of thing you are trying to do? This was a "1st effort" to use a compound control panel, and it surely has "novice approach" spread pervasively through it. But if it is relevant it might be a time to critique it heavily if it will help advance your project.

On Tue, Dec 8, 2009 at 6:56 PM, Douglas G. Danforth <danforth{([at]})nowhere.xy

Here is a screen shot of what I am trying to do. The form on the left is
in Edit mode so that you can see the square area that should look like
the view (untitled6) to the right but does not.
It seems that if I use Views.OpenView (rather than View.OpenAux)
then I can use Ctrl+Space to select the view and I can copy and
paste it into the form.
When I press the Find Minimum button the untitled6 view is updated
correctly but nothing shows in the form (even when in Mask mode).

What do I need to do to get this to work?

-Doug

--
--
Aubrey McIntosh, Ph.D.