- From desk to web

From: Oberon microsystems AG, Tech-Support <"Oberon>
Date: Mon, 15 Oct 2007 22:29:43 +0200

Doug, Werner,

some time ago we have actually put together a very rough prototype of a BlackBox subsystem that tries to provide some of the magic Doug is looking for: Please find attached the ZIP archive "Web-Distro V20070921.zip". It contains our prototypical subsystem "Web" that allows you to publish simple BlackBox documents and forms as web pages.

The preliminary documentation that is included assumes that the Web subsystem is used together with a CGI-capable web server (e.g. Apache or Microsoft IIS). In order to facilitate experimentation with our prototype, we have additionally included Stewart Greenhill's lightweight web server "Dbu" which runs directly from within BlackBox.

So, if you want to give this a try, please copy the contents of the directory "Web-Distro V20070921" into your BlackBox directory. (There will be the question whether it is okay to overwrite the module WinNet -- just say yes.) Next you should open the module WebObxCaps. The first commander at the bottom of the source text opens the WebObxCaps forms-based application. If you hit the second commander, you will launch the web subsystem together with the web server and you will be able to use the exact same application from within your web browser via the following URL:

http://127.0.0.1/?Cmd=OpenDoc&File=Web/Rsrc/ObxCaps

As already mentioned, this is only a very rough and limited prototype that we did several years ago. Nevertheless, WebObxCaps may give you a hint at what might be possible in pursuing this approach further. Unfortunately, we at Oberon microsystems do not have enough free resources to invest in this project. So the question would be whether anyone else wants to develop this further. Our colleagues at latl.ch recently expressed their interested in a system like this too.

with best regards,

Marc

Oberon microsystems AG
www.oberon.ch