- Freestanding Blackbox applications?

From: F.V.Tkachov <"F.V.Tkachov">
Date: Wed, 17 May 2006 13:33:14 +0400 (MSD)

> Probably many "hobbyists" ("BlackBox adhererers" as opposed to
"IT-professionals")
> are engineers and scientists, whose work is their hobby,
> and who write progams for themselves, just to get their work done
reliably and quickly,
> even with limited GUI options.
> I suppose those make up for the majority of professional BlackBox users
today.

> Reinhard Bürger

As a scientist, I value BB exactly for its UNlimited GUI :-)

That is, custom graphics geared exactly for a novel data analysis
application for a unique experiment which has at least two big upgrades
planned in the coming years (the second one at the Karlsruhe tritium
research center).
I observe all the time colleagues struggling with an array of tools, all
of them (tools) "powerful", yet the job only gets harder...

That's why it is important to have BB do *any* form of useful work on
Linux -- and preferably unique computations (my intention) -- then the
audience will increase, and participation too -- Rene was right about
manpower being the key.
Rignt now simply telling how BB is better to people who won't look at
windows and who have tools that seem to satisfy them (if only because
they've never seen anything better) is a waste of time.

cheers
fyodor