FW: BlackBox source code 'improvements'

From: Campbell, Robert D (UK Edinburgh) <"Campbell,>
Date: Tue, 11 Jan 2005 10:38:07 +0000

-----Original Message-----
From: Krywult Rene [mailto:Rene.Krywult{([at]})nowhere.xy
Sent: 11 January 2005 09:52
To: Campbell, Robert D (UK Edinburgh)
Subject: Re: BlackBox source code 'improvements'

*** WARNING *** This mail has originated outside your organization, either from an external partner or the Global Internet. Keep this in mind if you answer this message.

Hi Robert,

I think your question is an excellent one. One that I have asked myself. From my POV, the only solution is standardization and documentation.

We need a "project". This "Project" may have different goals:

*) Improvement of the existing "basic" Blackbox

*) Port to Java Virtual Machine / Linux / .Net

*) Port of various components from other languages

*) documentation

*) translation to Russian, Spanish, German, Chinese,...

*) new functionality subsystems

*) testing

If someone suggests a change in a basic module, the part-project "Improvement" decides if and when to implement it. Then the new improvement has to be tested. And then the new "build" is published.

Thus we can keep the numbers of different "Blackboxes" small and manageable, we can publish a new version and we can do PR for Blackbox.

Usually such a project needs a flashy name, and I suggest "Amber" for that cause.

Robert Zelazny was a fantasy author who wrote a story about the kingdom of Amber, which stands for order. Its opponents are the lords of chaos. The king of Amber is OBERON. Oberon has several sons and daughters. I think it is a nice idea for a name, though my heart does not hang on this. But my heart does hang on the idea of a joint project to keep the OpenSource Blackbox reasonable.

Rene

PS: Could you forward this to the list for me? I send it from my work, where I have no access to the blackbox-list (that is: I can read, but I can't send).