Hello BlackBoxers

From: Hector <"Hector">
Date: Tue, 4 Mar 2003 01:55:53 +0100

Hello. It has been a long time since the last time I wrote, but I'm afraid my knowledges of english haven't been increased too much. Sorry, first of all (like always) for my bad english, even while I am still studying it.

I have been waiting for sending this message until I have had a few doubts. I'll enumerate them

Doubt 1)
It is not exactly about blackbox, but I'm going to tell you. If somebody wants to think about it, he could consider it like a... pastime. A crossword, or something like that.

I'm working on my end of degree project. I want to make a "butonnizer": I mean, I want the user to be able to draw a figure and after that, that this figure could be a button. For doing that, I have to know if the button has been clicked inside or outside the figure, and I have a few problems with a few figures. I'm not able to know if the mouse has been clicked inside or outside. I'm sending a .gif with a figure that I know that gives me problems. If the mouse is clicked where the two red lines are crossing, it tells me that it is inside of the figure, and it isn't. The information I have is:
1.1 -> Function f(x) =y for each figure
1.2 -> Function f(y) =x for each figure
1.3 -> The four figures that close the figure from Up, down, left and right. In the picture, they would be the black lines crossed by the red lines.
1.4 -> I also know if a figure intersects with another, I mean, if a figure cuts another, but I don't know exactly where, because a figure can be crossed by another once, twice, or even more times.
1.5 -> If twho figures are united, even if it isn't directly. I mean, perhaps two lines aren't united directly (one doesn't cut the other), but there could be a third one that unites them. I can know if that happens.

If anybody has an idea of what to do with this information, and wants to help me, I would be very grateful. I also would be grateful if someone could recommend me a book, or a web page with information about this (Believe me if I say I have look for them many times, and a lot of time, but I haven't find any).

Doubt 2)
    I'd like to make my button "transparent". For example, for the white color to become in a "window grey". I have seen there's a constant called Views. transparent, that I have combined with the Ports. background variable. I gave the Ports. background the value of transparent, and... the little problem is that all the windows became transparent. How could I do for only the "Button View" becoming transparent?.

Doubt 3)
    Which is the best way to paste my "Button View" to a Form?. I have seen the TextMappers. Formatter class, and his method WriteView, but... none of the views is a text view, so... is there another way to paste my view into a Form?. Is the Formatter enough for doing what I want?

Doubt 4)
    If I can, and I have enough time, I'd like to give "my" button the ability of Guards and Notifiers. Which chapter of the help deals about that?. What modules or messages, or something do I have to "answer"?. I haven't finished yet, so this question doesn't really minds a lot, but it wouldn't be bad to know something about this.

Doubt 5) ĦĦThe last one!!
Does anybody know why I don't receive the blackBox single messages?. I only receive the summary mails, I mean, thoese with topic BlackBox#--- .

Well... I know there are many questions in this mail (Sorry: I'm a beginner) but if someone could answer me any of them, I would be grateful forever.

Thank you in advance and regards, HECTOR.

PS: Please, continue making blackBox and Component P. grow It is one of the best languages I have seen. (I haven't really seen a lot, but for the few I have seen, I think it is the best).

Poblema.gif
(image/gif attachment: Poblema.gif)