Re: CD-ROM publication of The Oberon Series

From: [at]} <AMcIntosh{>
Date: Wed, 23 May 2001 14:01:39 -0500 (CDT)

Recently, I have heard of faculty who have fairly
new Ph.D.s who become upset when they are
called "Professor" instead of "Doctor." I told my own
students that I thought they were nuts, that "Prof." is
a much more respectable title, with or without the
Ph.D.

I think that it is customary in the US to tend to continue
to use titles after the enabling situation has lapsed.
We often hear of people who are socially nicknamed
"Doc" or "Judge" or "Prof" even if they no longer practice.

Is the German practice more "crisp" than that?

--
Aubrey McIntosh, Ph.D.
1502 Devon Circle