Re: Introduction

From: [at]} <Stewart>
Date: Fri, 17 Sep 1999 07:10:00

At 12:05 PM 16/9/99 PDT, Bob Walkden wrote:
>Hello,
>
>a few words to introduce myself, and a question which I hope someone can
>help me with, please.
[...]

>This brings me to my question: does anybody have, or know where I can get,
>CP code for toolbars, and/or docking windows?

A good question. I had some thoughts about how to do this.

Firstly, one would need a container view that did some sort of geometry
management (the toolbar). Toolbars need to be able to re-arrange their
contents according to their shape. The forms in Blackbox don't do this, but
it would not be hard to write a container that did.

Secondly, (the hard part) one would need to be able to insert a view (the
docking controller) into the MDI parent frame to manage the arrangement of
toolbars within it. The framework does not currently allow this; views can
only exist in client windows. Thus, we would need some help from Oberon
Microsystems. I doubt that this would be difficult, but it would need some
modifications at a fairly low level.

There would probably also be some issues to do with window creation and
management. For example, when you drag a toolbar out of the docking area a
new window is created and dragged at the same time. This means that windows
would have to be explicitly created and positioned. There are probably some
goodies in the Windows module to do this, but its not yet documented. In
BCF, mouse tracking is handled as a modal process (ie. a loop that does not
return until the mouse is released). This would probably block the
framework from updating the new window while it is being dragged.
Personally, I would like to see a non-modal tracking facility. This would
allow other things to keep happening (eg. view updating, actions executing)
while the mouse is being tracked.

Cheers,
- Stewart

To unsubscribe from this mailing list, send a message containing the word "unsubscribe" to:
   blackbox-request{([at]})nowhere.xy

To get a list of valid e-mail commands and instructions on their usage, send a message containing the word "help" to the above address.

Send any problem reports or questions related to this email list to the list owner at
   owner-blackbox{([at]})nowhere.xy