BB on Linux/Wine was: New OuS business model (wasRe: porting BB-application to

From: [at]} <bernhard{>
Date: Tue, 6 Apr 99 10:42:35 +0200

Hi folks,

There is the Wine project in the Linux world (http://www.winehq.com)
which tries to make the WinXY API available on Linux/XWindow (not
really restricted to Linux, also xxxBSD, Solaris and other **nix
OS), although it is still alpha ...

In the last months I tried BlackBox on Linux/Wine and followed
the development of Wine with it.

The current state is not that bad:

   BB runs (under certain circumstances, see below).

   Fonts and screen layout are suboptimal (TrueType font support
   in the XWindow System is not (yet) complete).

   Form subsystem works (as far as I tested it).

   Commanders work.

   It is possible to compile and run (small demo, I did not try a
   larger program due to the limitations of my PC at home) programs.

Limitations and crashes:

   One of the common dialogs crash Wine During startup (PRINTDLG32).
   Onother one crashes on font selection.
   For the first one I have a work around (dirty hack).

OuS (Cuno Pfister) promised to help in developing a Linux version by:

   making the needed sources available (signing a non-disclosure-agreement
   is necessary).

Cuno Pfister said that OuS does not have the manpower to actively
support a port, but that they would (at least) answer questions.

This might be a viable path to having BB under **nix OSs (for Intel
and possibly PowerPC platforms).

I don't know about the plans of OuS for having SlimBinaries in the
future, but if so it would be a path also for other processors).

BB Vs 1.4 is rumored for being vailable this summer with more sources
available in the distribution.

AFAIK, the Wine license is less restrictive than GPL/GLPL, so
using Wine stuffwould not be a license issue.

I'm willing to do some coordination (as my time constraints allow)
and/or contribute what I have so far.

regards

    Bernhard Treutwein Tel. +49-89-5996-642, Fax -615
    Institut f. Med. Psychologie Ludwig-Maximilians-Universitaet
    bernhard{([at]})nowhere.xy
    C is its own virus