Re: porting BB-application to Oberon V3/V4 ?

From: [at]} <John>
Date: Mon, 5 Apr 1999 10:16:59 -0500 (CDT)

> Date: Mon, 05 Apr 1999 13:03:32 +0200
> To: blackbox{([at]})nowhere.xy
> From: Reinhard Dietrich <reinhard.dietrich{([at]})nowhere.xy
> Subject: porting BB-application to Oberon V3/V4 ?
>
> Dear Nurts,
>
> I have written a framework for computer simulation for plant pathology
> issues in Oberon/F resp. Blackbox. Now, I have to port the plant-pathology
> models to other platforms eg. Solaris. There exits the
> ETH-Oberon-implementation, but not a BlackBox-implementation.
> Unfortunately, there is big gap between Oberon/F and System 3 or 4. Has any
> body written an interface? This interface should allow the use of the
> Oberon/F modules in a V* resp V4 -environment. Or have I to port my basis
> modules to the System 3 / 4?

I don't think a "general" interface between Oberon/F and Sys 3 or V4
exists. But the folks at StatLab have done a pretty good job of
maintaining a portable product (Voyager) between Sys 3, V4 and O/F.

http://www.statlab.uni-heidelberg.de/projects/voyager/

I would suggest following their model. You need to build a level
of abstraction between the code that's dependent on Oberon/F stuff
and the code that isn't. That may be difficult depending upon
how you designed the code.

> Which way do you recommend me? Have somebody any experience with this
> topic? An Unix-version of Oberon/F resp. BlackBox I would prefer.

Once upon a time there was was an Oberon/F version of the Oberon-to-C
compiler "Ofront".
        ftp://ftp.inf.ethz.ch/pub/Oberon/Ofront/

But for some reason it has disappeared. Even if you could find it,
I sincerely doubt that it's been kept up to date. There have been
several changes to the BlackBox system and language since then.