(unknown charset) Re: Compressed storage of integer numbers.

From: (unknown charset) [at]} <pfister{>
Date: Fri, 26 Feb 1999 18:27:51 +0100

> for some time I kept wondering why reading/writing integers
>in compressed form has been dropped from BlackBox. Remember
>those wonderful procedures Files.ReadNum and Files.WriteNum?
>They can store small integer numbers on fewer bytes than 4.

In an earlier version of Oberon/F, we had such procedures.
But we realized that it doesn't help much, in particular when
storing colors and universal units. These numbers are typically
quite large. Thus the additional set of procedures was more
confusing than helpful, and we removed them.

Cuno Pfister

Oberon microsystems, Inc.