Efficiency: Human and Machine

From: Douglas G. Danforth <"Douglas>
Date: Fri, 19 Feb 1999 16:34:42 -0800

Folks,

Wojtek's recent trials with BlackBox inspires me to
mention that when one speaks of the efficiency of
a language or its implementation one needs to also
speak of the human efficiency in using that language.

In the Oberon Language Report we find the quote

"What remains unsaid is mostly left so intentionally,
either because it can be derived from stated rules of the language,
or because it would require to commit the definition when a
general commitment appears as unwise."

When I first encountered this statement I said,
"Hey, neat! That cuts through a lot of verbiage."

However, I have found that this philosophy is carried
too far and that adequate examples and discussion of
hows and whys are not given in BlackBox and other
Oberon versions. Even the nice Obx suit of programs
of BB make very gross assumptions about the understanding
of the reader. In general TOO MUCH TIME is needed to
learn and acquire basic skills in BlackBox.

The dictum, "As simple as possible but not simpler"
fails when it comes to human acquition of the
knowledge within BlackBox. IF one knows why and
how THEN what is written (I assume) is obvious.
The problem is the precondition is not met for
most of us.

Examples:
o Why Tool vs Aux?
o Too difficult to manipulate a file
  (N.B. MUST reconnect to NIL first which is
   rediculous in my opinion)
etc.

Having said all this I like the look and feel of
BlackBox. I think Oberon Microsystems needs to
hire an Editor that knows nothing about Component
Pascal and have him/her completely redo the
documentation.

-Doug

--
Douglas G. Danforth, Ph.D.        danforth{([at]})nowhere.xyX-ray Instrumentation Associates  pho 650 903-9980 x15
2513 Charleston Rd, Suite 207     fax 650 903-9887