Re: [BLACKBOX] Aw: Re: [BLACKBOX] Re: [BLACKBOX] Re: [BLACKBOX] [BLACKBOX] The official position of the Russian OberonCore team about BlackBox Support

From: [at]} <Ivan>
Date: Wed, 21 Aug 2013 22:27:12 +0800

Dear Rene

I hope that such experienced manager in our family will help with managing the energy of the team. If the manager do not know that some resources (people, knowledge and time) exists, nothing to managed with. I made you an administrator of Redmine some time ago. If you are software manager you knows the strong sides of this system and can help to make right decisions. Do not shame to teach, but do not suppress the activity. If it is for free that does not mean that it is chip.

If you give a reason to start the web-site from the scratch, to make new initial repository we can make everything that is needed to achieve better result. If no ideas we will make our work how we can with involved people. We do not want to see how our everyday tools dies in a hands of slowpokes.

Maybe you can give a breath comment about the branches system we a discussing for new development?
Roman http://forum.oberoncore.ru/viewtopic.php?f=114&t=4450#p81640
Ivan http://forum.oberoncore.ru/viewtopic.php?f=114&t=4450&start=20#p81660

The mailing list is bad idea to continue discussion, no chance even to send a picture.
I suggest the mailing list discussion to be continued here:
http://forum.oberoncore.ru/viewtopic.php?f=114&t=4454

I already had copy one of your first letter here three weeks ago:
http://forum.oberoncore.ru/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=4407#p81263

Can you point in new topic the main suggestions?

Regards, Ivan

2013/8/21 Rene A. Krywult <rene.krywult{([at]})nowhere.xy

        Well, Ivan, I dont' know. Language is an issue here, definitely, because I often have to guess what you are saying, and even more often, what you really mean. English is not your first language, and it is not mine either. So, I hope that in what I write below, I do understand what you are trying to say and not bark up the wrong tree. If so, I apologize right now :).

        From what I understand, you say that we should do first and talk later. And you claim that this probably has to do with age, too.

        And you are right: As a child, I believed that analysing, planning and talking was for sissies, too. I had to make mistakes, have high goals *not* achieved, see software projects I had my heart set on crumble because I didn't do the necessary work of analysing and planning before starting to code. But this taught me that anything worth doing is worth doing it right! And to do anything in IT without analysing first is a sure recipe for shattered dreams. If you are not old enough to understand this, Ivan, then good luck with sore knees and broken bones, metaphorically speaking. You'd better listen to wisened old men, if you want to keep your health.

        When Omi first made BB OpenSource, the community was glad - but nothing happened. A few years later, I tried to convince the community that we should stop waiting for Omi to fix BB, but start doing it ourselves. I read articles about OpenSource projects and what makes the difference between failure and success, and I sent a few of them to the list. Nothing happened. Why? Because Omi was still there to do the work. So the community of BB using developers didn't need to become a community of BB developing developers.

        Now Omi has taken itself out of the equation. They will not be responsible for further developments. A bold move! A necessary move! Now it is up to us to either live up to the task or let BB rest in relative obscurity.

        For me, this is like a hike in the montains. I buy equipment and a map, I plan, I prepare, I go, I succeed. If you want to run off without a map and without preparation, fine. But don't you think you'll get lost and exhausted without ever coming to anything?

        I'm not someone with great knowledge of machine code, compilers, low level programming and such. I am, though, a project manager and a software developer. That's my bread job for the last 20 years. I know something about what makes the difference between a failed project and a successful one. I know something about RAD and it's strenghts, I know something about SCRUM.

        I'm also a networker and community builder, though not in IT. I have experience in religious and in academic communities, I'm also involved with the Red Cross. In all those cases I work with volunteers and as a volunteer. I know how to build a community, and how to keep it focussed and working.

        If you think that youthful warhorseship is the way to go in an OpenSource community building effort, have fun. I'll aplaud you for your enthusiasm, and commiserate with you for your shattered dreams.

        Rene