Re: [BLACKBOX] My first project. AKA kicking tires

From: [at]} <Darek>
Date: Thu, 22 Mar 2012 20:07:38 +0100

Hi all,
 to have this kind of capabilities (symbolical calculation) in BBox maybe an interface to the Maxima engine (http://maxima.sourceforge.net/) will be good enough?

Regards,
   Darek

On 22 March 2012 19:26, Robert <robert.campbell_{([at]})nowhere.xy

On 22/03/2012 01:05, Lon Williamson wrote:

I've hung out here a tad.

Upon reading more than I should have about folks trying out
Blackbox, I see a "quicky mentality" that says:

"No ASCII is very very irritating."
But I THINK I can do this:
Make a subsytem that is a text editor.

While I agree with Doug that most (all ?) of your text editor points are already
part of the standard build, or are available from Cpc, it must be rather frustrating to have your suggestions / offers dismissed so quickly.

I suppose that since BlackBox (neé Oberon/F) has been in use for nearly 20 years, (and Oberon for longer) much of the obvious/easy stuff of general interest is bound to already exist?

I have a mental list of 'Nice-to-haves'.

One idea (my interests are decidedly mathematical):

I have a 'Calculator' into which you can type pretty general expressions such
as 2 × Cos(45°)² or e?(ip) and it will calculate their values numerically, using
either 64-bit REALs, or 64+64 bit Complexes, or high precision Reals (100's of digits).

What I don't have is the ability to symbolically form their derivatives or integrals.

While I understand that these are big problems in general, a restricted capability using only the kind of theoretical knowledge commonly taught to high school kids would nevertheless be of significant utility.

Does anyone else on the list have interesting / challenging projects to suggest?

Regards

Robert

----