Re: [BLACKBOX] disk image editor

From: [at]} <Aubrey.McIntosh{>
Date: Mon, 11 Jun 2012 09:31:43 -0500

Thanks for the replies.

1. I found what I had remembered: http://www.winimage.com/bootpart. and http://www.winimage.com/download.htm

This was used at one time to manage the boot partition for multi boot with one of the Oberon family systems from a while back.
It has a companion product called Winimage. It is Winimage that does one of the things that may be useful to me.

2. My real problem. I was re-sizing a partition in Ubuntu Lucid Lynx. A storm came through, and I interrupted the process. The partition is corrupted. I want to repair the partition. There is no space for a backup installation. That is why I was doing the re-sizing.

The approach. I have installed Oracle VM Virtual Box on a windows machine with adequate disk space and installed Ubuntu Lucid Lynx on it. I wish I had explored the virtual box before, it may be a very good use of your time to look this over for an hour or two. I have a live USB Ubuntu boot system. I plan to log into the distressed machine and make a sector per sector clone of the hard disk across the network.

The problem in this approach that is DD will not copy a partition to a network share as my system is configured. I am going to try partimage and see if it will. In order to set this up, I plan to make a disk image of an unformatted 170 GB disk to import into the Virtual Box system. This is where winimage comes in.

There is probably a more direct way to accomplish this...

3. Interesting things discovered.
It turns out that the Bluebottle (AOS) CD boots and runs on the VM Virtual Box. It also turns out that the Oberon0 floppy disk halts with OB printed on the screen. I think this is where the first sector has loaded and is trying to load the rest of the boot image, but it has been a long time since I looked at the boot sector source.

On Mon, Jun 11, 2012 at 8:31 AM, Treutwein Bernhard <Bernhard.Treutwein{([at]})nowhere.xy

        Hi Aubrey,

        Yes, Chris is alright, the easy way under Linux/Unix is dd ...

        Otherwise you could use rawrite.exe from the Native Oberon download area
        ftp://ftp.ethoberon.ethz.ch/Oberon/System3/Native/StdAlone but that offers
        only the opposite direction. But googling for rewrite gets you there:
        http://fdos.info/ripcord/rawrite/ a page, which apparently covers everything
        you may need ... (it also refers to dd for Unix/Linux).

        regards
            Bernhard

        ----
        To unsubscribe, send a message with body "SIGNOFF BLACKBOX" to LISTSERV{([at]})nowhere.xy

--
Aubrey McIntosh, Ph.D.
1502 Devon Circle