(unknown charset) Re: [BLACKBOX] CommStreams and V24

From: (unknown charset) [at]} <Alexander>
Date: Tue, 21 Jun 2011 15:58:07 +0600

Hello!

DGD> Rainer,
DGD> I believe the intent of Comm is for interacting with the Internet and not
DGD> local serial ports.
DGD> -Doug

  What about remote serial ports?

DGD> Oops, no. CommV24 is specifically for RS-232 serial
DGD> communications under Windows. It's nice too, with a simple
DGD> interface. CommStreams, however, seems to be for TCP/IP, as it uses the CommTCP driver.

  What are you two talking about? CommStreams does NOT USE the CommTCP
  driver at all. And the Comm subsystem is NOT meant primarily for the
  Internet.

  A quote from the docs:
  "Module CommStreams defines the interfaces of two types: Stream and
  Listener. The interface is designed with reliable
  connection-oriented protocols in mind. Implementations of the stream
  and listener interfaces provide the actual communication channels. A
  TCP/IP implementation which internally uses a "sockets" interface is
  a typical example."

  See? CommStreams is just an interface for any kind of reliable
  connections. TCP/IP is just a typical example.

  Attached is my current version of CommV24, documentation included.
  I won't mind if Oberon Microsystems includes it in the next version
  of the BlackBox distribution.