[BLACKBOX] HostFiles Was: SaaS

From: [at]} <Aubrey.McIntosh{>
Date: Sat, 26 Nov 2011 10:31:10 -0600

I use the server option of BlackBox to simplify the management of multiple projects.

The standard way to do this is the /USE command line switch in a shortcut.

I found a drawback with this, in that the subdirectory may not exist on the target machine. I modified HostFiles.odc to handle the subdirectory creation automatically. I have been using this code since about 2008.

I would appreciate some comments. The encoded file is at http://ns2.vima.austin.tx.us/BlackBox_Work/Host/Mod/

BEHAVIOR
  When a Blackbox executable is started, the directory %appdata% is searched for the subdirectory <executable name>_work. If it is not found, it is created. Then, the execution proceeds as if it had the command line option /USE "%appdata%/<executable name>_work" However, this does not override any actual /USE command line option.

PREPARATION
  DevLinker should be used to rebuild the BlackBox executable with the new version of HostFiles. If you are not using a server environment at this time, you may wish to rename Host/Mod/Files.odc --> Host/Mod/Files0.odc prior to starting.

USE
  Name the executable in alignment with the project, for example O3.exe or CurrencyTrader.exe. Start the executable. Each user that runs this executable will have their own private copy of %appdata%/O3_Work or whatever.

RELATED PRACTICES
  When the software is ready to checkpoint or release, DevPacker is used to pack all the files from the %appdata% work directory into the executable. For many applications, this executable file is the only thing that needs to be delivered, and it is ready to execute without additional steps. Menus, splash screen, and help file can all be presented to the customer in the BlackBox screen by judicious crafting of Config or Startup.

Again, please have a look at this software. I'd like to formally submit it to Oberon Microsystem as a contribution to the system, as soon as I figure out the formal process.

On Wed, Nov 23, 2011 at 12:27 AM, Douglas G. Danforth <danforth{([at]})nowhere.xy

Werner and Aubrey,

Also,
How many directories does the installation assume are installed
in the BB directory.

I currently have .../O3bb

But I do NOT WANT to have more than 1 directory added to my
BB directory to handle O3 processing.

That is, I do NOT WANT
/App
/O3stdBase
/O3baseStrings
/O3stdFiles
etc

All of those directories should be under O3 (It should not be
called O3bb and yes I sort of understand that this is supposed
to be a multi platform(?) distribution).

-Doug