Re: [BLACKBOX] [CPC] Casket & Latex

From: [at]} <Robert>
Date: Tue, 30 Mar 2010 20:12:07 +0100

On 30/03/2010 00:30, Chris Burrows wrote:
> Just a thought - may be completely off track ;-)
>
> Does Mathematica have a better way? e.g.

The first pdf shows three generations of the Docu file for the procedure
LibComplexFn.CinSi. This is defined in Ascii, using MathType, and using
Casket/LaTeX. To my eye the quality of the LaTeX (on screen or on the printer)
is (*much*) better, and when you get used to that quality there in no going back.

I tried the Zeta function example in Mathematica (see the second pdf). The first
line was entered graphically (a bit like MathType) which is a bit 'fiddly', but
maybe some people prefer that way. I don't think that line makes 'sense' to
Mathematica.

The second line was just typed in (with errors! we forgot the pi s) and does
make 'sense'.

The third line was created automatically by Mathematica from the second, and
also makes sense. It is a bit of a cross between a mathematical expression and a
computer language expression.

Line 2 is not much 'simpler' than the LaTeX; the image quality is no better, and
maybe not as good.

A Mathematica license (I think) is about £2500. The annual maintenance is about
£350.

However Mathematica 'understands' the expression, and can
evaluate/manipulate/plot it. LaTeX can do none of those things.

So essentially we are not comparing like with like.

Regards

Robert

----
To unsubscribe, send a message with body "SIGNOFF BLACKBOX" to LISTSERV{([at]})nowhere.xy