Re: [BLACKBOX] Simple ASCII text editor example (traditional file I/O)

From: [at]} <Rainer>
Date: Sat, 7 Aug 2010 08:08:11 +0200

Stephen,
unfortunately I don't have a solution to your problem (reading and
writing to the same file) but I do have the requirement of dealing
with ASCII files.
For some reason I need to do this in a traditional fashion, i.e. not
to use the services of module Files directly. So I put a new module
"BasicsFiles" on top of module Files which offers traditional file I/O.

BasicsFiles is not tuned for speed nor for handling extremely large
files (e.g. procedure "Copy" which takes the contents of a source
file, stores it on the heap and writes it to the new destination).
Looking at the code you might perhaps get some hints how to deal with
module Files (it took me a lot of time to understand how to apply
module Files for simulating traditional file I/O).

There is documentation too and a small "debugging tool", so you might
play around with the services of this module. In this case you will
need to download the modules BasicsAssert, BasicsStrings,
BasicsStderr and BasicsTerminals from Helmut Zinn's CPC
(www.zinnamturm.eu).

If you think BasicsFiles is of any use for you (or somebody else) I
would appreciate to get hints for improvements (or error reports)
because I intend to make this module available via CPC.

Best regards,
Rainer

----
To unsubscribe, send a message with body "SIGNOFF BLACKBOX" to LISTSERV{([at]})nowhere.xy