Re: Menu

From: Treutwein; Bernhard <"Treutwein;>
Date: Mon, 26 Feb 2001 08:55:30 +0200

> From: "Gerold Boehler" <gboe{([at]})nowhere.xy
> To: <blackbox{([at]})nowhere.xy
> Subject: Menu
> Date: Sun, 25 Feb 2001 21:30:56 +0100

> I've got another question about the menus in blackbox.
> Is it possible to add a menu item to the bb environment, without
> having access to the .\Blackbox and underlying directories ?
> At school we just have a networkdrive where we can save the
> written programms and Blackbox is started from a server.

If BlackBox is started with the /use <some path>
option, all modified files are stored unde <some path>
including the resources (menus etc ...).

There is some documentation about this option in
the FrameWork User Manual

see Help->Contents

and the the link to the Server Version. Here is some excerpt:

3) For each workstation, create a program item (or shortcut on Windows 95) with the
following contents:

  Command Line (Target): "<BlackBoxFDir>\BlackBox.exe/Use <WorkDir>"
  Working Directory (Start in): "<WorkDir>"

where <BlackBoxFDir> stands for the full path name of the directory where BlackBox is

installed (on the server), and <WorkDir> is the path of the working directory of the
actual machine (on the client or on the server). The latter must not end with a backslash
("\").

Example:
  Command Line (Target): "S:\BLACKBOX\BlackBox.exe/Use C:\BLACKBOX"
  Working Directory (Start in): "C:\BLACKBOX"

These features, originally introduced for situations where multiple users want to develop
with BlackBox, can also be useful in a single-user environment. The idea is to have one
directory with the original installation of BlackBox, and a separate directory for all the
developer-specific files. If the user opens a file, it is first searched in his or her
working directory. If it isn't found there, the corresponding file in the "server version"
is opened. When a file is saved, it is always saved in the working directory. This makes
it easy to set entirely separate projects simply by creating separate working directories
for them. When an upgrade of BlackBox comes out, only the central "server version" needs
to be upgraded. If you use the server features in this way, without having multiple
developers using the same installation simultaneously, then no special license is
required.

PS: please switch off html formatting of your mail client.

regards
    Bernhard Treutwein
    Bernhard.Treutwein{([at]})nowhere.xy
    Tel. 049-89-2180-2774 Fax.: 089-2180-9927741