Re: heap vs. stack

From: Self <treutwein.59.Verwaltung.Uni-Muenchen>
Date: Fri, 29 Jun 2001 08:32:27 +0200

> Thanks for all your help.

you're welcome

> Your suggested changes worked well. I was able
> to make dim = 2000 with no trouble, but 2500 caused the disk to thrash for a
> few seconds, but then this worked as well. The heap topped out at 120M. (My
> physical memory is only 128MB.) Physical memory appears to be my only limit

there is under Edit->Preferences the option of a double Status bar
It will give you some info about heap allocation (if you haven't
hit that option already).

> A few odds and ends:
>
> 1. I'm very happy to find a group carrying on with the Pascal family of
> languages.

correct, but it is a very small minority (with a majority of non-US people).

> I have felt like I was drowning in a sea of C!

the best and most portable assembler I ever met :-)

> 3. If 1.3.3 has a heap limit, I have not reached it.

> 4. BB works with NT/95/2000. How about "Me"? I will be getting a new
> machine and Me is the OS most often loaded onto the machine.

hmm, I don't think it will give problems, but ask in both the blackbox mailing
list in news:comp.lang.oberon.

> As a new BB user, I guess I'll need a little handholding for a while. I
> hope to be able to help others soon.

same sources as above. But even if you're quite familiar with
Wirth languages (like TopSpeed M2), Stan Warfords tutorial
at ftp://ftp.pepperdine.edu/pub/compsci/prog-bbox/ might
give you some information I had to find out by trial & error.
I started with the precursor of BlackBox (Oberon/F) in 1995
after reading the article by Dick Pountain in Byte. I still use
sometimes TopSpeed for unported projects.