Slow reading of TextModels

From: [at]} <Stewart>
Date: Sat, 18 Nov 2000 06:23:02 +0800

Hi Folks,

In my application I need to index a batch of text files. Typically there
will be maybe 60-70 files. I tested it on a small data-set of roughly 4
megabytes in total, but in principle the files may be much larger
(several megabytes each). To index the files, I only need to read a bit
of data from the start of each file.

I use the procedure in ObxAscii to read a TextModel (ie.
Converters.Import to get a View, and then check for a TextView to get
its Model). It seems to take an inordinate amount of time to read the
files. I rewrote the file access using my own Scanner on a raw file and
the procedure became virtually instantaneous.

Why does it take so long to open a TextModel for reading? I'm guessing
that the framework makes a backup copy of every object that is opened.
It possibly also needs to read the whole file to Import it. Is there a
way to open a TextModel that avoids some of this overhead?

Cheers,
  Stewart