Large memory usage

From: [at]} <robert.d.campbell{>
Date: Thu, 30 Nov 2000 15:28:33 +0000 (GMT)

I have experienced problems allocating large amounts of memory
from within BlackBox. This was reported at the DevDay meeting.
See http://www.oberon.ch/resources/dev-day/2000/Campbell_files/frame.htm

I am talking about allocating over 600 MBytes of real memory on NT4
machines with 1 or 2 GByte of real RAM.

A partial workaround is to allocate the memory using
KERNEL32.VirtualAllocate and avoid the garbage collector.
This is inconvenient (I like having my garbage collected), and
seems to be only partially successful.

I have heard a rumour that Windows has some kind of 720 MByte memory
limit. Does anyone know anything about this? Does anyone have experience
of writing large memory applications in Windows (in any language), are
special steps needed to use a 1 GByte array?. Will I need to consider Linux?

Regards

Robert Campbell