Re: Nested subsystems

From: [at]} <Stan>
Date: Mon, 12 Apr 99 12:14:24 PDT

Re:

> >Why not use XIAdxp, XIAgreta etc.?
> >Then one only has to register an all-capitals pre-prefix.
>
> Not a good idea, because in current BB scheme the first
> small --> capital transition is used to delineate the subsystem.
> Thus, you are talking of two different and disjoint subsystems
> here. What we need is to organize both our work and the final
> "look and feel" in terms of different menus and resources,
> as well as interdependencies between different parts of software.
>
> To make it more concrete: in our case Xia is a collection of
> data definitions and low level procedures. These definitions
> are shared among our other subsystems, such as Gr (interactive
> graphics), Dgf (gamma-ray specific software), Dxp (X-ray specific),
> Proton (delayed proton emission), and others. We do not want
> to contaminate the namespace world-wide by registering all
> these (and many other) names. On the other hand, all these

> subsystems share a lot in common, and it makes sense to put
> them under one umbrella.

I have not found a need to subname within my projects. But if
you do, why not internalize your hierarchical naming? Register
Xia and then name one module XiaNameSubname1, another
XiaNameSubname2, and one from another subproject XiaName2Subname1.

Stan
J. Stanley Warford
Professor of Computer Science
Pepperdine University