Re: Nested subsystems

From: [at]} <Wojtek>
Date: Mon, 12 Apr 1999 11:35:26 -0700

At 07:51 PM 4/12/99 +0400, ftkachov{([at]})nowhere.xy

>Why not use XIAdxp, XIAgreta etc.?
>Then one only has to register an all-capitals pre-prefix.

Not a good idea, because in current BB scheme the first
small --> capital transition is used to delineate the subsystem.
Thus, you are talking of two different and disjoint subsystems
here. What we need is to organize both our work and the final
"look and feel" in terms of different menus and resources,
as well as interdependencies between different parts of software.

To make it more concrete: in our case Xia is a collection of
data definitions and low level procedures. These definitions
are shared among our other subsystems, such as Gr (interactive
graphics), Dgf (gamma-ray specific software), Dxp (X-ray specific),
Proton (delayed proton emission), and others. We do not want
to contaminate the namespace world-wide by registering all
these (and many other) names. On the other hand, all these
subsystems share a lot in common, and it makes sense to put
them under one umbrella.

Think also of common names such as Tools, Graph or Lib. They are
already taken (that's why we chose "Gr" for graphics). What if

we want to have our library and our own tools? Is that not logical
to call these Xia.Tools and Xia.Lib (Or Xia%Tools, or Xia->Tools,
choose your favorite ;-)

I think a well designed solution from Oberon Microsystems
would help. If they do not want to extend BB conventions at this
time, then I would welcome a suggestion from them how to best
utilize present convention, keeping in mind a possible future
upgrade.

>> I am suggesting that BB should support "nested subsystems".
>> Right now the name space of subsystem prefixes is flat, what
>> will likely generate name clashes. There are only so many
>> good names one can come up with. As an example, Graph and Edu
>> have been taken by Wolfgang, Lib has been taken (for graphics!),
>> and so on. We at XIA need to create new subsystems for our
>> projects named DXP, DGF, Greta, and others. Never mind the names,
>> just count how many new names in addition to Xia and Gr that
>> we already reserved.
>>
>> It would make sense if we could reserve just one name such as Xia
>> for our company's subsystems, and internally branch from there.
>> Thus I am proposing that Oberon Micro define a syntax to specify
>> nested subsystems and nested subsystem directory structure.
>>
>> I suggest not to delay this to BB 1.4, but rather incorporate
>> the new feature in forthcoming BB 1.3.2.

>> Wojtek
>>

>> > --Wojtek Skulski skulski{([at]})nowhere.xy
>> > X-ray Instrumentation Associates pho 650 903-9980 x16
>> > 2513 Charleston Rd, Suite 207 fax 650 903-9887
>> > Mountan View, CA 94043

Wojtek Skulski
X-Ray Instrumentation Associates
2513 Charleston Rd #207, Mountain View, CA 94043, USA
Tel: 650 903 9980 ext. 16 Fax: 650 903 9887
E-Mail: skulski{([at]})nowhere.xy