Compressed storage

From: [at]} <Wojtek>
Date: Thu, 25 Feb 1999 18:39:29 -0800

As an addendum to my previous mail concerning compressed storage:
here is a possible application that I hope makes sense, if the
date and time fields are coded in a sensible way (I hope they are ;-)

XiaArrays.WriteIntC (wr,fig.date.year); (* compressed *)
XiaArrays.WriteIntC (wr,fig.date.month);
XiaArrays.WriteIntC (wr,fig.date.day);

XiaArrays.WriteIntC (wr,fig.time.hour); (* compressed *)
XiaArrays.WriteIntC (wr,fig.time.minute);
XiaArrays.WriteIntC (wr,fig.time.second);

The following though would be wrong, because under BlackBox
colors are coded as very big numbers:

XiaArrays.WriteIntC (wr, fig.look.lineColor); (* these are large numbers *)
XiaArrays.WriteIntC (wr, fig.look.pointColor);

I would also welcome a comment concerning the compressed storage
format itself. To me it seems to make sense when numbers are really small,
like in case of my data arrays. Even then it is not the best possible
format to store numbers like 1,2,3.

I have a book "Data Compression" on my bookshelf, but I am sort of
hesitant to dig into it because it is so thick ;-)

Wojtek