Re: Efficiency: Human and Machine

From: [at]} <Stan>
Date: Sat, 20 Feb 99 10:48:00 PST

Hello all,

Re: Doug's comments

> Even the nice Obx suit of programs
> of BB make very gross assumptions about the understanding
> of the reader. In general TOO MUCH TIME is needed to
> learn and acquire basic skills in BlackBox.

I agree. As a newcomer to the Oberon scene a few years ago I
was convinced of the power of Oberon/F but at the same time
saw the simplicity of the language as an attractive feature
for teaching beginning computer science students. Frequently,
however, it was a struggle to learn the framework (not the
language) because no books of a tutorial nature were available.

We need a full tutorial book on container programming with
BlackBox. I am saving all the recent contributions to this
list because such a reference work does not exist that presents
the material without the preconditions of prior knowledge.

> Having said all this I like the look and feel of
> BlackBox. I think Oberon Microsystems needs to
> hire an Editor that knows nothing about Component
> Pascal and have him/her completely redo the
> documentation.

Indeed. I think such a company-independent author would be
the ideal person for writing a tutorial. However, it is probably
asking too much for such a tutorial to be part of the on-line
documentation. We need a new book.

Stan
J. Stanley Warford
Professor of Computer Science