Re: Persistence and supercalls under BlackBox

From: [at]} <Venkat>
Date: Mon, 15 Feb 1999 14:23:59 -0500 (EST)

> Thus, my question is: if not supercalls, then what?
>
> If OuS do not propose their concrete alternative to supercalls,
> then their recommendantion not to use supercalls does not
> make any sense.
>
> Wojtek

In this case supercalls do make sense. Blackbox example "ObxFldCtrls"
uses it explicitly.

However, the comment on the undesireability of excessive use of
implementation inheritence (supercalls) is on the mark. Programs can
break in unexpected ways when so (ab)used. I believe, OuS recommends
delegation whenever possible, since you are then using a well published
interface.

Venkat Rao
GTE