Intro & info about myself

From: <>
Date: Fri Apr 3 15:36:31 1998

As Guy suggested, I'll try to introduce myself a bit.

I am Bernhard Treutwein working at the Institut fuer
Medizinische Psychologie (Ludwig-Maximilians-University)
Full address in the footer.

We are a pre-clinical institute envolved in the training of medical
students in psychology.

I hold the german equivalents of an Ph.D. in medicine and a M.S. in
physics. In the beginning of my student time I had some training in
mineralogy/crystallography.

I do professional programming since 20 years. I started in Algol-60 in
1975 with a course with the famous title "Einfuehrung in den Gebrauch
von Rechenanlagen mit Maschinenpraktikum" (I have difficulties to
translate that, but I think anyone with a faint understanding of german
...). At these times the central site was TR440 multiprocessorsystem
which was replaced by a CDC mainframe.

I started with ports of Algol programs and mixed language programming
(cross-linking Algol & Fortran). In 1979 I teached myself Pascal and
started porting large Fortran programs to the CDC / and beta testing a
new Algol compiler with similar large Algol programs (at that time I
had understood the gourmet stuff of name-call).

During my masters thesis (1982) in physics I switched from Pascal to
Modula-2 and from mainframes to minicomputers (CDC -> PDP11) doing
real-time programming (stimulus generation and experimental data
collection in experiments for measuring visual perception of humans. I
used the original ETH compiler M2RT11 and later an extended version of
it.

My experimental program survived the transition from the PDP11 to the
IBM-PC, where I started with the Logitech compiler, switched to
TopSpeed and sometimes used FST (just for fun or to see how portable
are my programms).

I had some detours to assembler (Macro-11) and C (which I understand
quite well, but consider as the best assembler, which was ever
invented).

I tried several times within the last 6 years to convert to Oberon, but
got frustrated/could not master the pitfalls of the user-interface
until last year (if you do not have someone you can ask and who can
show you how to, the Operon System is very difficult to learn IMHO).
Therefore I was very fascinated with the advent of Oberon/F and the
short review in BYTE by Dick Pountain (I don't remember when it was).

I'm watching the BlackBox/OberonF list and c.l.o since quite some
time but started about half a year ago to be also a more active member
of it.

In the meantime I moved a bit from the stimulus generation and
experimental side to the more theoretical one, which is the
sequential collection, statistical analysis and Monte-Carlo
simulation of binary data, when the underlying model is truly
nonlinear. Applications may stem from such diverse areas as
psychology/psychophysics/psychonomy as well as material analysis
pharmakology, insectizides, and econometry.

Cheers

   Bernhard Treutwein,

        Institut fuer Medizinische Psychologie Tel. +49 89 5996 642
        Ludwig-Maximilians-Universitaet Sekretariat: " 650
        Goethestr. 31, D-80336 Muenchen
        Federal Republic Germany Fax. +49 89 5996 615
        priv.: Ganzenmuellerstr.15, 80999 Muenchen, +49 89 89 220 499
        email: bernhard{([at]})nowhere.xy
        home: http://www.lrz.de/~bernhard
        or http://www.lrz-muenchen.de/~Bernhard_Treutwein
        C is its own virus